Student loan in Nigeria is a type of loan which gives students the opportunity to cover the cost of lodging and food as well as personal expenses for living, stationery as well as other expenses for education at a higher educational institution.
Anyone who is in financial difficulties can qualify for the loan if they meet the criteria for an student loan. Many students who need help aren’t aware of the loan but those who do aren’t able to get it since they don’t know how to apply for the loan.
In this article we will discuss the process of getting a student loans within Nigeria that do not require collateral. We will provide the brief history of Nigeria education loans, conditions for loan, the process for processing it, the loan amount and the repayment terms.
Additionally, we will discuss different loan sources and terms. Let’s begin this course right now.
History of the Education Loan
Many Nigerian parents consider education the best way to raise their children up above their poor financial circumstances. The year 1972 saw the government created “The Nigerian Students Loans Board.” The purpose of this body was to provide loans to Nigerians for education for both graduate and undergraduate students in Nigeria as well as abroad.
As per the report from jstor.org According to a report by jstor.org, this Board issued a sum of the sum of N46million between 1973 and 1991. The recovery of these loans was not easy and, as a result the government removed the Board with the “Nigerian Education Bank.”
This organization is now offering advice for students and also supervises the loan disbursement to students studying professional subjects like Architecture Law, Medicine and Accountancy as well as other tasks.
Nigeria education bank loan requirements
Candidates should be Nigerian students who are enrolled in an accredited course in approved higher institutions of learning approved by the National Council for Higher Education.
Advertisement of the Available Loan
The Nigerian Students Loans Board will publish an advertisement in a leading national paper, asking interested students to submit an application for loans or scholarships to the Board within the timeframe specified for scholarships or loans.
How can I get a student loans from Nigeria without collateral
Take these steps in order to obtain Student Loans in Nigeria:
Determine how much you will require.
For an education loan you need to be aware of the amount of loan you require, where to find it, and also the necessary documents to process the loan. You must also assemble these documents.
Get the necessary documents
You need to collect the following documents for student loans in Nigeria This is mostly to be used by the Nigeria Education Bank loan, for lenders other than Nigeria Education Bank, continue studying the article. These include:
- Names and ages, birth certificates marriage status, the sex of the person.
- Academic records – admission letter
- An identification form with three passport photographs from recent times and a copy charges from the Institution
- The course of study length, duration, date of start and the date to finish.
- Depositing into a bank account and a deposit of N2,000 for cost of processing (for Nigeria Education bank loan)
- Send your banker’s name who is the owner of your Institution (which typically is a Nigeria Education bank.)
Please be aware that requirements differ between lenders.
Study terms and conditions
Find out the amount of the loan and its purpose, the terms of the loan and the terms of repayment.
- The amount of a loan The range is between N24,000 and N32,000. or any amount greater than this
- The purpose of HTML0 is:Living expenses, stationery, and other school-related expenses
- The loan period This is different according to the length of the applicant’s course.
- Payment: Usually , two years after you have completed your studies
A majority of these will depend on the lending institution.
Contact a lender
Visit a commercial bank that you prefer. These banks are affiliates of Nigerian education bank. Nigerian Education Bank. Find out what is required to open an account and the other information needed to obtain a Student Loan in Nigeria that does not require collateral.
After that, you should open an account at the bank, and deposit N2,000 to pay the processing fee to get the loan. This is the case if you are interested in an Nigerian Education bank loan.
Send in your Student loan application
- Visit the Dean of Students Affairs of your University and collect your loan form and fill it in.
- Attach all documents required and pay all the fees necessary
- Apply in the Student’s Loan Taskforce in the Dean’s Office.
Be patient until the approval and processing of the student loan application
You should wait for an answer by The Nigeria Students Loans Board. When processing is complete:
- If you didn’t fill out the application form in the correct manner You will receive the form in error and receive an email or SMS or a contact from the Operations Unit of the loans Board to modify the form.
- Ministry of Education will publish the names of candidates who have been successful in a newspaper of national circulation. Your name will also appear listed on the website of the Ministry, and you will be sent an email informing you of the amount that was allocated to you.
- You will be given an identification number for student loans and issued ID cards and loan funds will be transferred into Nigerian education bank. Nigerian education bank to be disbursed the funds to you bank.
The steps above are applicable to the Nigeria Education bank loan. Other lenders are listed below.
Other locations where you can obtain a Student loans with no collateral
You can apply for an advance loan through the initiative called the creative sector as well as local banks that offer educational loans. Below is an overview of the other loans below.
Creative Sector Loan
Another option to obtain a student loans from Nigeria that does not require collateral to apply for the loan to the creative sector. This loan was established by the Federal Government of Nigeria recently created the Creative Sector Loan through a Central Bank of Nigeria initiative.
The purpose for the lending program is to build capacity and the creation of jobs for both businesses and individuals that are experts in certain industries.
The benefits:The credit is inexpensive and a single-digit loan for education and business, with a flexible structure, terms of repayment and financial guidance.
Inadmissibility To receive this Creative Industry loan, your company must satisfy the following requirements:
- Are part of the creative industry (fashion music, fashion, Movie Production and distribution, as well as Information Technology).
- Are you a registered business in the Corporate Affairs Commission
- Make a full business proposal to the bank you prefer
- Absolutely flawless Credit Bureau Report with no outstanding loan at any Commercial bank
- An acceptable Credit Risk Management system(CRMS) reports of sponsors, owners, and the director’s request process.
Documents are required in all CIF Loans
- Accepted Offer Letter
- Business Plan
- Board Resolution (if corporate)
- The Creative Sector Loan for Software Engineering Student
Learn about the requirements and steps to obtain the student loan to Nigeria with no collateral.
Conditions and terms ofCreative industry student loans
These are the conditions and terms for this loan. Software Engineering student loan.
- Rate of interest:Maximum Interest rate of 9% per year for the loan, with all costs included.
- The type of loan is:Term Loan with an 80 percent Central Bank of Nigeria funding
- A moratoriumA stoppage of payment for nine months beginning from the date of payment
- Payment:Repayment occurs monthly after the 9 months of until the end of the freeze.
- Repayment time Maximum of 3 years to pay back the student loan
- Collateral:Minimum Equity Contribution (0%), University Degree, NYSC Certificate, Credible Guarantor, and Personal Guarantee.
How to complete your Creative Sector Loan for Software Engineering Student
Step 1. Make a visit to the nearest Commercial Bank: Approach any financial institution for additional inquiries about the loan.
Step 2. What are the requirements to obtain the CIF student loan
- The student must have an Software Engineering Student.
- The applicant needs to gain admission into a training institution with job placement agreements.
- Applicants should not have a poor credit score with the credit risk management systems (CRMS) and any bank that is commercial in Nigeria.
- Request preferred areas that have very low Information Technology adoption.
Step 3. Choose the amount You will require
Find the bank you like among the many commercial banks across the nation. You can apply for the maximum of N3 million in student loans with no collateral.
Step 4. Select a commercial bank
Visit the bank you prefer and establish a bank account for the loan. You can also discuss other conditions with the bank’s account manager.
Phase 5. Make an application for the money:
If you satisfy all of the above requirements complete and submit the form along with documents to start with the procedure of applying and you’ll be granted the loan.
Financial Institutions that offer education loans
Education funding in Nigeria has been a challenge in the eyes of Nigeria’s Federal Government. Thus it is best to go to the bank that offers the loan for educational purposes is a way to obtain a student loan from Nigeria with no collateral.
Banks loan money to help students pay for their costs of studying locally and internationally. The banks typically offer educational loans with various conditions and terms.
For example, Standard chartered bank has Smart Credit Educational Loan that allows students to borrow as much as 10 million and then you pay back within 6 years.
Stanbic IBTC Bank PLC has an educational program that provides the option of international money transfer for school fees and allowances in foreign countries.
Zenith Bank and Access bank provides educational loans as well as personal loans for students.
For instance At Zenith Bank Plc, you are able to get an education loan to pay for tuition fees. It’s a loan for short duration subject to terms and conditions.
GTBank, Acccess and others provide student loans
- Features of the Loan
You can obtain an amount that is as low as N100,000 up to a maximum of 5 million dollars. The school fee is paid is made directly to the child or school for students. The maximum period in Junior school is 3 months, and in the case of Tertiary Institution 9 months.
- SecuritySalary bank account for the parent/guardian at the bank Direct payment of costs to schools. Student as well as the Ward must have an account at the bank.
- Rate of interest:Prevailing commercial lending rate
How to process and obtain the student loan in Nigeria from the bank
Follow these steps for an education loans to Nigeria from banks
- Visit an office of the bank that you’ve chosen.
Determine the amount you require and notify your guardian or, if you have an account for salary with the bank, you can take care of it directly. You must also be in the position over a minimum of six months, and have received a salary from the account.
- Meet Your Account Officer
Request an application for a loan, complete it out and send the necessary documents such as an invoice, tuition charges or bank statement, as well as other documentation.
- Allow the bank to process to approve the loan
After you have submitted your application, you will receive information via either email or telephone when the loan has been approved.
You can Apply For Quick Loan Using These Loan Apps
These loan apps are only for urgent loan for personal needs, they are all genuine loan apps